Friday, February 12, 2010

Technology + Education = Educational Psychology?

Continuing on from my previous blog regarding education and technology, I thought it would be important to point out that I am currently taking a course known as Educational Psychology. Dr. Patricia Alexander is not only my professor for this class, but she also wrote the textbook we are using for the course. The textbook is titled, "Psychology in Learning and Instruction."

Luckily for me, Dr. Alexander devotes a whole chapter to technology and how it has been effective in the educational process. She states that, "educational technologies are commonplace in schools and classrooms--so much so that their presence and their power are simply accepted without question or reflection," (270).

In addition to how much technology has evolved the educational process, she also talks about the effects of technology, more specifically the assisted effects and residual effects of computer-based technology (274).

Assisted effects are the effects shown WITH technology. For example, if I am unsure on how to do a math problem, I could look up how to do it online. This shows me using technology to learn something.

Residual effects are the effects shown AFTER the use of technology. After being exposed to how to do the math problem online, I should be able to do the problem on my own without technology.

These type of effects can help show how much technology can (or cannot) be beneficial in a classroom setting. With the computer fighting for the lead as the most commonly used technological device (perhaps it has already taken the lead), there is a never-ending list of things it can do to help educate students.
1. PowerPoint lectures (as some of us students are already familiar with)
2. YouTube videos
3. Microsoft Excel/Word etc
4. Pictures/Videos/Movies other media
5. Virtual Classrooms
6. Internet
And the list goes on.

Now you might ask: What does this have to do with psychology? As stated earlier, this class is known as Educational Psychology. The reason why technology comes into play, is because the class is about educating the student in the best way possible, and using technology is without a doubt, one of the best ways. Not only does it capture the student's attention, but using technology also helps to relate to the student. In my personal opinion, having a professor use new technology would certainly grab my interest, thus allowing me to become more focused on the lesson, that is, if I am not distracted by other technologies...

No comments:

Post a Comment