Friday, February 19, 2010

Disagreeing With Research

Recently, our class has discussed results from an article titled, "Personality and Self-Esteem as Predictors of Young People's Technology Use." The article claimed that certain personality types determined what type of technology they used, and how they used it. For example, neurotic individuals were found to use text messaging more rather than calling.

While this may be true, I think the researchers fail to take into account other factors that may explain such behaviors. I know from my own personal experience, as well as from others, sometimes text messaging is just convenient, which is why I text more than call, and I do not consider myself as a neurotic personality type. Also, as ridiculous as this may sound, some people, such as myself, are just plain lazy to talk on the phone. Sometimes I find myself laying in bed, and instead of wanting to talk on the phone, I would rather watch TV and text at the same time. This certainly does not mean I have a particular personality type.

I just thought I'd post this because I did not get the chance to express my beliefs in class. I believe that more research needs to be done within this topic, and the researchers should take into account of other significant factors that may affect the results of the study.

In case you are interested in the article, it may be accessed through here:

2 comments:

  1. I appreciate your response to this and wonder...what other "factors" would you think should be added to future studies?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although I thought some of the generalizations the study made were intuitive (like those with lower self esteem preferred communicating online as opposed to face-to-face communication). I do agree that there are a number of factors, other than personality, that drive individuals to do what they do. For one, various cell phone plans may be dictating an individual's actions. If one does not have many minutes to spare, text messaging may be the most economical/convenient way to communicate with others. Also, some phones are just not conducive to text messaging and may force users to just talk on the phone.

    ReplyDelete