Monday, February 1, 2010

Intro to Technology Through Psychology

Hello everyone and welcome to my blog: Technology Through Psychology!

Have you ever wondered why you act, say, or think certain things?

Do you or anyone you know have a mental illness or disorder such as ADD, anxiety, or depression? And if you do, you wondered how you could tell whether or not you have it?

Or perhaps, you’re just curious in the careers related to psychology and the jobs required to do them.

As a Psychology major, I felt that this would be the perfect opportunity to research my field of study and find out how technology has helped get the world of psychology to where it is today.

I can’t even begin to tell you how many times I have told people I am majoring in Psychology and the only response they can think of is, “So, you can read my mind? What am I thinking about right now?” Well, last time I checked, psychology is not about reading minds. However, thanks to technology, I can (or will) be able to tell you how your mind works, how your body reacts to certain biological or environmental situations, and why people act the way they do, among other things.

Most of the focus on my blog will be directed towards the many different psychological/mental health disorders known today. Disorders can range anywhere between ADHD and narcolepsy, to bipolar disorder and schizophrenia. There is a long history of technological devices, methods, and solutions that have helped to not only diagnose such disorders, but also treat them.

Such methods have either failed or succeeded. In addition, they may also have downsides to them. Therefore, I will look at the technology that despite its failures, has helped lead the way to successful trials. I will also look at both the positive and negative effects of the use of technology.

As stated earlier, while most of my focus will be on mental illnesses and disorders, other topics will include jobs that require the use of technology to help advance their career. For example, in forensic psychology, the use of technology is imminent and practically mandatory in every aspect. Therefore, such fields of psychology will be researched to not only inform you about the advancement of technology, but also perhaps to spark an interest for future careers.

The best thing about psychology is that it can be applied to practically everything in life. To make matters better, technology can also be applied to almost everything in life. To put these ideas together creates the world we live in today. So with my blog, I hope to help you envision our world discussing the important advancements of psychology through technology, with only one exception—please do not ask me if I can read your mind. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment