Thursday, March 4, 2010

Psychological Effects of Texting

If you are one of the millions of people who has a cell phone, most likely you have at least once texted instead of called someone. There are many reasons for this behavior. According to "Insights into the Social and Psychological Effects of SMS Text Messaging," text messaging is "instant, location dependent, and personal" and is quickly becoming the number one option of communication.

With over 72% of people living in Western Europe owning a cell phone, over a billion text messages are being sent each month in the UK. When I hear of a statistic such as this, I think, "Wow, that is a lot of texting!" But according to the article mentioned above, texting could have psychological effects and have a psychological explanation as to why statistics are so high.

Questionnaires were given to to find out about how often a person uses his/her cell phone and aspects of relationship development. The study had 950 participants, with 517 people preferring talking on the phone (termed as the "Talkers") as opposed to 433 people who preferred texting (termed as the "Texters").

The most distinct piece of data about these so called Talkers and Texters is that research found the Texters to be "significantly more lonely...more socially anxious than 'Talkers.'" In addition, Texters were more likely to report that texting affected their relationships with friends and family, as well as helped them develop new relationships.

Now this is where I become confused with this study, so bear with me here.

1. If texters were found to be more "lonely" and "socially anxious," how is it that texting could help them develop new relationships?
2. As mentioned in an earlier blog post, isn't it possible that people, such as myself, text simply because it is easier? Faster? More convenient? If I'm not mistaken, the article even supported that the reasons why texting has become so popular is because of those specific reasons.

Perhaps I am a little biased due to the fact I would be considered more of a Texter than a talker. Perhaps I take into offense that I can be considered more lonely and socially anxious (because in my opinion, I'm not). Regardless, the study fails to clarify whether or not the participants were directly asked questions concerning their loneliness. As I was reading about the study, it sounded more like the researchers were simply assuming that because texting avoids face-to-face confrontation and permits anonymity, texters were more likely to be considered in categories such as lonely and anxious.


I can think of a few reasons why texters, including myself, prefer to text than talk on the phone.
1. Its less of a distraction. In other words, after I text I continue to watch TV, do homework, cook, etc. When I talk on the phone, I find it difficult to concentrate on other things.
2. Easier to send information. For example, if I am giving someone directions to my house, I can text them the directions so that they do not have to write them down.
3. Its quieter. I may be in the middle of something, in which I don't want to interrupt people around me.
4. The receiver may be busy. Perhaps he/she is in class, at work, etc. and they are unable to answer the phone.
5. LAZINESS! Sometimes I am just plain lazy to talk on the phone. After a long day, I don't feel like using my voice, therefore, I text.

The list goes on! While it may be true that some people text to avoid awkward conversations, certainly does not mean that they are lonely. But I certainly hope there will be more research on this subject that takes into account of all the possible factors that can account for the reasons people text. Until that study is done, I will continue to text my family and friends, as well as be socially active as I always am.

*Sources for pictures: flickr

No comments:

Post a Comment